Enough with the cliches. Just plain 'ol Winston =).

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The grass is greener on the other side

It seems that we, as human beings, are never satisfied with what we have. Material comforts are just one of them.

We hate our job/school/life/things/possessions/even ourselves. We (or maybe just me =p) always live in our dream of what it would be like to be in the shoes of...let's say a rich, clever...(basically everything 'good' that you can possibly have/own) person. But in the end, does that little fantasy actually get us anywhere?

I used to remember myself saying "School life is so boring. Working is good. You earn money, and the job might not be so bad." And then I had my holidays after my 'O's and realised that working isn't that fun after all. When studying, you have to know so many facts that might not even be relevant to your life. When working, especially a part-time job, you don't have much freedom to do what you want (especially if you have no off days).

Perhaps the saying the grass is greener on the other side is true. We are envious of the things we don't have. The constant struggle of satisfying our urge/wants/yearns is getting out of hand. Perhaps to a point of grotesque.

I, on the other hand, prefer not to ponder too much (apparently it took much contemplation to write this =X) about the grass on the other side but just settle in my little bubble cloud with nothing to do but a silly smile plastered on my face.

Which brings me back to my second paragraph on dreams. Does it get us anywhere? Honestly it won't. But, at least it comforts us at the end of the day. What more can we ask for? =D

No comments: